Microsoft released the long awaited SP2 for the App-V 5.0 client. With new features like better integration with the local OS (shell extensions!), the possibility to sequence some dependencies like MsXML and Visual C++ run times. A welcome change with this release is that the volume license editions of Office 2013 Standard and Professional, Visio 2013 Std & Pro and Prject 2013 Std & Pro are supported! Many customers will look at App-V 5.0 again!
It’s time to deploy the new App-V client to workstations!
As I’m always trying to get my hands on the MSI’s to deploy software, the first thing I did was getting and extracting the sources. Once I had played arround with the MSI’s I decided to take a walk to consider things and throw the MSI’s gently in the bin and install the EXE wrapper instead!! The next step was to find the required confguration parameters and finally deploy to workstations.
Prepare the sources
Get the App-V Client 5.0 SP2 binaries from the MDP ISO and extract the contents from it.
APPV_CLIENT_SETUP.EXE /Layout /LayoutDir=c:\temp
This will extract all the MSI’s from the EXE. The result is the App-V Client MSI and the all language pack(s) available.
I’m only interested in the English version, I will install only one language pack.
Install the App-V client (MSI) and language packs
Command-line to install the App-V client:
msiexec /i appv_client_MSI_x64.msi /qn /NORESTART AcceptEULA=1 /L*v “LogPath\appv5SP2_client_MSI_x64.log”
English Language Pack:
msiexec /i “appv_client_LP_enus_x64.msi” /qn /NORESTART AcceptEULA=1 /L*v “LogPath\appv5SP2_appv_client_LP_enus_x64.log”
So far so good!
Issue’s with upgrading SP1 to SP2
A clean SP2 client installation works fine by using the MSI’s, but upgrading a previous version gave nothing but errors.
Get-AppvClientPackage : CoCreateInstance() failed. The Microsoft Application Virtualization Service may not have been started. Please verify that the service is running.
It’s clear that the AppV service wasn’t running, but I wasn’t able to get it up and running again.
Reinstalling the AppV Client solved this issue, using the EXE wrapper! … Then I decided to use the default EXE wrapper instead.
Install the App-V client (EXE)
I’m using these setup paramaters against the AppV client installer.
APPV_CLIENT_SETUP.EXE /q /ACCEPTEULA /CEIPOPTIN=0 /MIGRATIONMODE=1
/S1GLOBALREFRESHENABLED=1 /S1GLOBALREFRESHONLOGON=1 /S1USERREFRESHENABLED=1
Don’t forget the /AcceptEULA paramater, apart from the information in the log file “Initializing string variable ‘ACCEPTEULA’ to value ‘0’” you will get an meaningless error;
Exit code: 0x68e
But this silent install gave the same error when upgrading an SP1 App-V Client!
All things considered, I gave up and ended up with a manual installation of APPV_CLIENT_SETUP.EXE :-S
Luckily I had only some POC workstations with AppV client 5.0 SP1 installed! For new installations the MSI’s did the job.
With the deployment of the SP1 client, I used a Powershell script to configure the client. There are also ADMX templates avalaible to deploy with GPO’s and the MSI/EXE installers accept switches to configure the client.
My intention was to blog about the deployment of the App-V Client 5.0 SP2 using the MSI installer. But it became a total failure, I’m publishing this post just to start a discussion and maybe to find a solution over time.