Menu

SP1 for Office 2010 stuck in downloading state

August 30, 2011 - ConfigMgr/SCCM, Office 2010, System Center

As a number of machines in our environment did not have the SP1 for office 2010 yet, I included it in my Configmanager sw deployment package.

But shortly after that I started recieving complaints that this update kept saying it was downloading without much progress…

SP1 stuck downloading
SP1 stuck downloading

In Configmgr 07 the SP1 was only imported in english (just as the rest of our updates). The Office 2010 package source is originally in English with (in our case) added languages French and Dutch.

 From one of the troubled clients I found this in the logs;

CAS.LOG:

Location update from CTM for content 1ba18f9a-1d45-44fa-958f-5374f3b9ea5e.1 and request {CDBF2855-B0A1-42AB-80F0-D7B2F939CFD8}               ContentAccess 23/08/2011 04:58:24       828 (0x033C)

Download request only, ignoring location update           ContentAccess 23/08/2011 04:58:24       828 (0x033C)

Setting download timeout options for content request {CDBF2855-B0A1-42AB-80F0-D7B2F939CFD8}: LocationTimeout = 604800, DownloadTimeout = 864000, PerDPInactivityTimeout = 0, TotalInactivityTimeout = 0   ContentAccess 23/08/2011 09:25:33               624 (0x0270)

No need to change timeout settings     ContentAccess 23/08/2011 09:25:33       624 (0x0270)

Setting download timeout options for content request {CDBF2855-B0A1-42AB-80F0-D7B2F939CFD8}: LocationTimeout = 604800, DownloadTimeout = 864000, PerDPInactivityTimeout = 0, TotalInactivityTimeout = 0   ContentAccess 25/08/2011 09:15:17               3232 (0x0CA0)

No need to change timeout settings     ContentAccess 25/08/2011 09:15:17       3232 (0x0CA0)

Setting download timeout options for content request {CDBF2855-B0A1-42AB-80F0-D7B2F939CFD8}: LocationTimeout = 604800, DownloadTimeout = 864000, PerDPInactivityTimeout = 0, TotalInactivityTimeout = 0   ContentAccess 25/08/2011 10:28:44               2144 (0x0860)

No need to change timeout settings     ContentAccess 25/08/2011 10:28:44       2144 (0x0860)

Download failed for content 1ba18f9a-1d45-44fa-958f-5374f3b9ea5e.1 under context System, error 0x800705b4                ContentAccess 26/08/2011 22:25:19       4280 (0x10B8)

Download failed for download request {CDBF2855-B0A1-42AB-80F0-D7B2F939CFD8}   ContentAccess 26/08/2011 22:25:19                4280 (0x10B8)

Raising event:

[SMS_CodePage(437), SMS_LocaleID(1033)]

instance of SoftDistDownloadFailedEvent

{

                ClientID = “GUID:9E699560-328B-42A4-9EB4-2DB4E16AC74F”;

                DateTime = “20110826202519.093000+000”;

                MachineName = “xxxxxxxx“;

                PackageId = “1ba18f9a-1d45-44fa-958f-5374f3b9ea5e”;

                PackageName = “1ba18f9a-1d45-44fa-958f-5374f3b9ea5e”;

                PackageVersion = “1”;

                ProcessID = 3360;

                SiteCode = “399”;

                ThreadID = 4280;

};

                ContentAccess 26/08/2011 22:25:19       4280 (0x10B8)

Successfully raised Download Failed event.       ContentAccess 26/08/2011 22:25:19       4280 (0x10B8)

UPDATESHANDLER.LOG:

Starting download on action (INSTALL) for Update (1ba18f9a-1d45-44fa-958f-5374f3b9ea5e)   UpdatesHandler                29/08/2011 20:59:20       4152 (0x1038)

well, Now we know for sure that the culprit is the missing update ID: 1ba18f9a-1d45-44fa-958f-5374f3b9ea5e.  furthermore it is supposed to be part of the bundled update for SP1 office 2010 (kb 2510690).

Originally I thought I had to simply add the dutch and French languages for this SP1 update, but then it became clear that by default also the Spanish proofing tools are installed.. (check this with the office OCT if you are not sure)

SOLUTION:

So I went to my console > software updates > update repository > service packs > microsoft > office 2010 > select the appropriate version (32bit or 64 bit) of the office 2010 sp1,  Right-click > download updates. Select your existing deployment package, select “download from the internet”, in language selection, I had to select French, dutch and Spanish.

Once the supplemental updates had been downloaded, make sure to update your deployment package as well!.

Then I identified which machines where stuck downloading this update with software updates report States 4 and restarted the SMS Agent Host service, after which the download went further.

Note 1: if you have a bundled update like this, you can check in the content information tab what language you have already downloaded.

Note 2: see also this article on the technet blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/configurationmgr/archive/2011/08/23/troubleshooting-a-configuration-manager-2007-installation-of-office-2010.aspx