Today I installed the SCSM 2010 in a lab environment and there where some issues I encountered during the installation. These issues will be explained during the series of screenshots.
- SQL Server 2008 SP1
- Domain with Active Directory
- Connection to the internet
- 4 GB of RAM
- Authorization Manager Hotfix (975332)
- .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
- When clicking on the setup.exe (which has been extracted to the temp folder of the used profile) the installer began to download & install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
“System Center Service Manager 2010 Setup” page installing the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
Once the .NET Framework was installed, the “Microsoft System Center Service Manager Setup Wizard” opened and I could choose between the “SM Management Server” and the “SM Data Warehouse Management Server”. I could notice a difference here for the requested memory. The “SM Management Server” needs 4 GB of RAM whereas the “SM Data Warehouse Management Server” needs 8 GB of RAM.
On the “Getting Started” page I did not register the software because I’m using it in a lab environment. If you are going to implement the software in your enterprise, be sure to request a license from Microsoft.
On the “Installation Location” page I didn’t change anything. Note that the System Center Service Manager only requires 1GB of free space!
The wizard is “Checking for requirements…”
On this page – “System Check Results” – I encountered some issues. First, my virtual machine did not have 4 GB of RAM allocated. I changed this and re-ran the installation. This issue was covered but the wizard showed me that the “Authorization Manager Hotfix” was not installed. I subscripted on the Microsoft webpage in order to receive the hotfix in my inbox. The email contained a link to the download location and a password for the .exe file. The .exe file will extract to a default location and the following file is generated: “Windows6.1-KB975332-x64.msu”. Run this file and the hotfix will be installed.
On the “Configure The Service Manager Database” page I lost some time because I did not install the SP1 for the SQL Server. Because of this the wizard could not locate the freshly installed SQL Server 2008. Once SP1 was installed, the wizard could locate the SQL Server and I decided to create a new database for the SCSM, called “ServiceManager”.
On the “Configure the Service Manager management group” I chose the name “ServiceManagers”. The persons in this group will be able to manage the SCSM 2010. The “sm\ServiceManagers” stands for the AD Group “ServiceManagers” in the domain “SM”.
“Configure The Account For Service Manager Services”
“Configure The Service Manager Workflow Account”
“Help Improve System Center Service Manager”
“Use Microsoft Update To Help Keep Your Computer Secure And Up-To-Date"
“Installation Summary”. Short overview of the completed wizard.
“Setup Completed Successfully”
“System Manager Management Console”. I’m now completely ready to go for it…
… and off course: Google