Microsoft announced that Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP) 2009 R2 will be released in late October 2009 and will add Windows 7 support for all components, except for MED-V. Server and management components will support Windows 2008 R2.
Microsoft is promising that the new MDOP tools will have management components that support Windows Server 2008 R2, which was released to manufacturing on Sept 14 and available through MSDN as we speak. In addition, all of the components in MDOP 2009 R2, except for MED-V, will support Windows 7. Microsoft expects to add Windows 7 support in MED-V when it releases MED-V 1.0 Service Pack 1 sometime in the “first quarter of calendar year 2010”, according to the blog.
MDOP employs six innovative technologies to increase desktop manageability, reduce TCO, and improve overall infrastructure satisfaction:
- Application Virtualisation. Deploy software applications that are never installed and never require regression testing, yet follow users anywhere, on demand.
- Advanced Group Policy Manager. Help IT take control of the desktop through effective change management, versioning and resets.
- Asset Inventory Service. Scan software inventory and transform title data into information that can help administrators make better asset-management decisions.
- Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset. Quickly repair unbootable or locked-out systems, restore lost data, remove malware from infected systems and diagnose problems.
- Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualisation (MED-V). Enhance deployment and management of Virtual PC images on a desktop running the Windows operating system. Simultaneously provide a seamless user experience on a virtual PC environment independent of the local desktop configuration and operating system.
- Microsoft System Center Desktop Error Monitoring. Prevent or reduce the response time for system crashes and freezes with granular error filtering and automated alerts.
With its virtualization technologies and manageability components, MDOP 2009 R2 is an essential part of your Windows 7 planning and deployment strategy.
This is a great opportunity to highlight the key innovations of MDOP 2009 R2 and talk about how MDOP can help you rapidly migrate to Windows 7, deploy applications with greater ease, resolve application incompatibility, and reduce desktop management costs.
Full Article on The Official MDOP Blog.